What are cons of using coal?
- Coal is nonrenewable. …
- Coal contains the most CO2 per BTU, the largest contributor to global warming.
- Severe environmental, social and health and safety impacts of coal mining.
- Devastation of environment around coal mines.
- High cost of transporting coal to centralized power plants.
What are the positives and negatives of coal?
While coal has the potential to be a tremendous source of energy, it does have several drawbacks. The major disadvantage of coal is its negative impact on the environment. Coal-burning energy plants are a major source of air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions.
Why should we not use coal?
Coal-fired power plants have been linked to developmental defects in 300,000 infants because of their mothers’ exposure to toxic mercury pollution. Asthma rates are skyrocketing in communities exposed to particulates from burning coal, and now one out of ten children in the U.S. suffers from asthma.
Does coal burn cleaner than oil?
The heat content, or the amount of energy produced when a fuel is burned, is mainly determined by the carbon (C) and hydrogen (H) content of the fuel.
Pounds of CO2 emitted per million British thermal units (Btu) of energy for various fuels.
|Diesel fuel and heating oil||161.3|
How does coal affect human health?
Coal impacts: air pollution
They include mercury, lead, sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxides, particulates, and various other heavy metals. Health impacts can range from asthma and breathing difficulties, to brain damage, heart problems, cancer, neurological disorders, and premature death.
Why is coal bad for the environment?
The burning of fossil fuels releases greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, increasing levels of CO2 and other gasses, trapping heat, and contributing to global climate change. Coal combustion releases the greenhouse gases carbon dioxide (CO2) and nitrous oxide (N2O) during combustion.
What are 2 disadvantages of coal?
Why is coal so bad for the planet?
- Mining coal is incredibly destructive to the environment. …
- Coal is actually radioactive. …
- Burning coal emits harmful substances. …
- Coal generates carbon emissions. …
- Coal mining and combustion contributes to climate change. …
- Coal is a non-renewable energy source. …
- Coal mining is a dangerous industry.
Is coal a good way to generate electricity?
Burning coal is the most cost-effective and energy efficient way of generating electricity.